About the project
The re-opening and refurbishment of the Biddulph Youth & Community Centre is a cause which has been championed by people of the town. The hard work and commitment of volunteers, fundraisers and local authorities has seen £435,508 raised from the Big Lottery Fund and over £10,000 raised from other public and charitable sources. However, we would like to do more, including renovating the centre, offering a wider range of traded services and making the Youth and Community Zone a really attractive and welcoming place to visit, at the heart of the town’s community.
This share offer meets the Community Shares Standard
We are delighted to offer you the chance to show your support for the centre by buying some Community Shares. By buying some shares you become a member with a say in the future operation of the centre which shows you care about the future of the community in Biddulph, our aspirations and the regeneration of the town. The minimum investment is £50, but we would love you to buy more if you can! What’s more you should be able to get tax relief on 30% of the cost, subject to certain conditions.
Biddulph Young People’s Place started as a Youth Café that operated from the Youth Centre on Friday evenings and was run by volunteers. Sometimes, up to 100 young people attended at one time. It grew significantly from its foundation in 2010 and we decided to expand on that success, by establishing a new social enterprise Biddulph Youth and Community Zone Ltd (‘BYCZ’) in 2014 to run the Youth and Community Centre and oversee this important project. The community benefit society has charitable status and is registered with the Financial Conduct Authority.
Our vision is to:
- provide a safe, warm, friendly and inclusive environment for all young people, their families and the local community. The centre will provide a stable, secure and relaxed environment for local people to make use of for community-based activities;
- generate wider benefits for users, supporting them to gain confidence and learn resilience whilst acquiring beneficial skills such as communication, planning, team-working and decision making;
- work in partnership with organisations to deliver quality support services to raise the aspirations of the community, through learning new skills and gaining confidence.
To achieve this, we want to widen our existing activities, by becoming a community ‘hub’ with an exciting range of family activities and events, adult education and sports sessions. Restoring the Centre and expanding our provision is just the first step. We want a Community Centre for the 21st century, owned by the community, which sends a signal of what Biddulph can be.
The funds raised from this Community Share offer will be used to:
- Carry out improvements to the sports hall to make it suitable for live events, theatre and film screenings, as well as a wider range of sporting activities
- Create a media suite and professional recording studio available for hire, as well as vocational training
- Provide support activities for local parents and carers, including softplay for toddler groups and teenage parenting
- Create an enterprise hub – providing vocational training and accredited learning
- We want to build a strong bond with our member supporters. Please help us make the vision a reality by subscribing for shares today in Biddulph Youth & Community Zone. Download our Offer Document below to find out more.
About Biddulph Youth & Community Zone Limited
We started off as volunteer-run youth cafe, but our vision now is to grow the social enterprise and widen our existing activities, by becoming a community ‘hub’ with a range of exciting family-oriented trading activities and live events, adult education and sports sessions.
Biddulph Youth & Community Zone Limited is a charitable ‘community benefit society’ established under the Cooperatives & Community Benefit Societies Act 2014 registered on 16 December 2014 under No. RS 007056. A community benefit society is a type of legal entity used for non-profit enterprises. We are registered with the Mutuals Team at the Financial Conduct Authority.
Our Objects are:
- to promote and provide in the community of Biddulph and surrounding areas education, training, recreation and healthy living for young people; and
- to promote community cohesion in the community of Biddulph and surrounding areas by providing facilities and services for persons in need by reason of their age, health, unemployment or economic circumstances; and
- to engage in any activities which in the reasonable opinion of the Board are conducive, ancillary or incidental to any of the above
Go online now at Microgenius if you are not online you can get an application form from Biddulph Youth and Community Zone, Church Rd, Biddulph; if you submit a cheque it will not be banked until our closing date 31st March 2016.
Tel 01782 244288 email email@example.com
Details of our trustees and management can be found here.
You can also see full details of the community share option by downloading this document: Biddulph Youth & Community Zone – Community Share Offer FINAL